Agate Bay is a neighborhood in Carnelian Bay located on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe, California!
The Agate Bay
neighborhood of Carnelian Bay
is located approximately six to seven miles east of downtown Tahoe City "Y" on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe, California, or four miles west of downtown Kings Beach. The Agate Bay subdivision is located in Placer County.
The Agate Bay neighborhood is a residential neighborhood location that is very popular and seems to always be in demand. Agate Bay is located between the downtown Carnelian Bay commercial area and Tahoe Vista.
The Agate Bay neighborhood of Carnelian Bay, California is a mix smaller, older Tahoe cabins and larger mountain homes with newer luxury properties.
The Agate Bay area has approximately +/-643 parcels, of which, approximately +/- 20 are lakefront properties. The neighborhood has a number of properties that back to open space, and some with lake views.
Agate Bay homes for sale are very desirable because of their close proximity to Lake Tahoe recreational activities such as the public beaches in downtown Carnelian Bay boating, hiking, biking, tennis, golf, skiing, shopping, and restaurants.
The Agate Bay area is known for its easy year-around access, the larger lot sizes, and the nice wide streets. It is also in a great central location on the North Shore so getting to Tahoe City, or Kings Beach is very easy. Those that ski like this central location making it convenient to get to Northstar, Alpine Meadows, or Squaw Valley. It’s a popular vacation rental area, and always in demand.
One of the optional features that many of the Agate Bay properties have for their owners is the membership in the Agate Pier and Swim Club. Membership comes in either the Tier I or Tier II optional recreational club membership.
While many may refer to this optional Club membership as a home owners' association (HOA) because its membership is restricted to only those that own property within the Agate Bay subdivision, it is not a HOA, but rather an optional recreational club.
The Agate Pier and Swim Club membership provides members with recreational amenities. There are two levels of membership:
- Tier I, which includes access to a seasonal swimming pool, in-ground hot tub/spa, and tennis courts.
- Tier II (also referred to as Level II) membership includes a Tier I membership so Tier II members get access to the seasonal pool, tennis courts, along with access to the gated pier area, sun deck (some beach area), and a buoy access program (see club rules for more information) giving home owners with the Agate Pier and Swim Club membership Lake Tahoe lakefront amenities.
Check out this video on the Agate Bay neighborhood in Carnelian Bay, CA here:
Agate Bay Subdivision | +/- 643 Parcels, with approximately +/- 20 lakefront parcels
The Agate Bay area is made up of single family home lots (including lakefront / waterfront lots), lake view, and mountain setting lots. The Agate Bay area is one of the more expensive neighborhoods on the North Shore.
Agate Pier and Swim Club (APSC):
The Agate Pier and Swim Club has three home owner amenity recreational areas. The first is located at 453 Agate Road - pool, in-ground hot tub/spa and sand volleyball court, BBQ and lawn area. The seasonal swimming pool is opens Father's Day weekend and closes on Monday of Labor Day weekend
The pier, beach and buoys are located at 4991 North Lake Blvd. in Carnelian Bay.
The tennis courts are located at the corner of Victoria Drive and Pretoria Road in Carnelian Bay.
The annual cost for the Agate Bay Pier and Swim Club has been very reasonable at approximately $800/year (subject to change, check with club for current rates). There has been a transfer fee when membership is transferred from one owner to the next. The transfer fee has been approximately $1,000.
While membership into the club (also known as the "Sun Club", it is optional and voluntary, if an Agate Bay subdivision property owner wants to join the club, they can either buyer an existing membership from another home owner at a negotiated price, or they can contact the club and see if there are any new memberships available for sale. Membership is not mandatory and is exempt from HOA civil code disclosures.)
The primary benefit of the Agate Pier and Swim Club is to provide a resort-like experience for members by providing access to Lake Tahoe, shared pier use, and a buoy rental option along with other recreational amenities such as the pool and tennis court amenities.
Agate Bay lakefronts, homes, and cabins have ranged in price at the low end from just under $500,000's up to $10 million for a lakefront home.
The selection of Agate Bay homes will vary from modest Tahoe cabins, newer mountain homes to multi-million dollar lakefront estates.
The Agate Bay area is a favorite for second home owners and is a great place to live all year long!
Looking for Real Estate Market Data for the Agate Bay Area?
Ready to start your Agate Bay Tahoe real estate property search? See all of the Agate Bay area homes, cabins, lakefronts, and land currently listed for sale in the Tahoe Sierra Multiple listing service here.
If you don't find what you are looking for, give me a call 530.414.1260 , I'm here ready to help you too!
Agate Bay Point Subdivision Details:
- Agate Bay is located in unincorporated Placer County in the state of California, zip code 96140
- Elevation at the shoreline in Agate Bay at Lake Tahoe is approximately 6,225 feet above sea level, at the entrance to Dollar Point the elevation is 6,483 feet
- Approximately +/- 643 Residential parcels
- Approximately +/- 20 Lakefront parcels
- Zoning in the Agate Bay area: Single Family Residential Lots
- Mail Delivery via the US Postal Post Box System - Carnelian Bay, California located at 5075 North Lake Blvd., Carnelian Bay
- Most homes are heated by either natural gas, (some propane), electricity, or possibly solar
- Garbage is picked up once a week. It is highly recommended that property owners install a "bear box" to house their garbage cans.
- Water is supplied to the area through the Agate Bay Water Company
- Sewer - All properties in the Agate Bay area must be tied into the North Tahoe Public Utility District (NTPUD) public sewer system. Septic systems are not allowed in the Tahoe Basin area.
- Optional Club Membership - Agate Pier and Swim Club Annual Cost of approximately $800/year (For the Year: 2019) for Tier II membership, and Tier I memberships have been lower at approximately $700 (For the year: 2019).
- Agate Pier and Swim Club transfer fee between owners is $1,000 (For the year: 2019).
- Membership: If a home does not have the optional club membership and would like one they either need to buy an existing one from a current member, or buy one from the club if they are available.
- Currently the membership has a cap of approximately 250 members - currently there are approximately 235. Tier II Members: 185 current members and Tier I Members: 50 current members.
- If an owner wants to provide access to the Agate Pier and Swim Club to their vacation renters the club will charge an additional fee for each renter. See rules for more information.
- Nearby Public and State Parks:
Nearest mini-mart - 7-Eleven downtown Carnelian Bay
Nearest gas stations - Kings Beach or Tahoe City!
If you're looking for a more specific property search here are some targeted searches that can help you.
Short Sale Homes for Sale in Agate Bay
Laura A. Allen | 530.414.1260 | www.tahoelauraluxuryhomes.com
Overview and summary of this neighborhood completed by:
Agate Bay, Carnelian Bay, California Current Real Estate MLS Listings :
BROKER ASSOCIATE, Tahoe Real Estate Agent, Tahoe REALTOR® CalRE# 01473598
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Tahoe City, CA 96145
All information is deemed reliable, but is subject to change, and/or correction without notice.
Buyers and Sellers should investigate and verify all information to their own satisfaction.